Best Nakiri Knife Review 2021 – Buying guides
The best nakiri knife is a high quality kitchen utensil that allows chefs to easily create beautiful vegetable dishes. The blade of the knife is typically made from an alloy steel and will have a sharp edge that can be used for cutting vegetables with precision. It’s important to select the right size, shape, weight, and type of handle for your needs in order to get the most out of this versatile tool.
Although nakiris are similar to usuba knives, these two types differ in their purposes; nakiris are used primarily for chopping vegetables whereas usubas are used more often for slicing fish or meat. I’ll cover all these factors below so you can find the best nakiri knives on market today!
Before you start to purchase best Nakiri knife, you may want to discover what it is.
What is a nakiri knife?
The name is Japanese for “paring knife”, and that’s what it does: peeling vegetables and fruit, trimming fat from bones, cutting herbs. Nakiris are specialty knives designed for delicate work instead of heavy-duty jobs like boning out a brisket or splitting chicken breasts for pounding. They are deceptively small–the blade length on most nakiris hovers around 180mm (about 7 inches), although it may be longer on some models. The short length makes them good choices for people with smaller hands who struggle to wield longer blades effectively.
Reviews on Best Nakiri Knife that You can Buy
Top 1: Yoshihiro VG-10 16 Damascus Stainless Steel Nakiri Knife
When it comes to cutting things, you don’t want anything more than a Yoshihiro VG-10 16 Stainless Steel Nakiri Knife. The blade material is alloy steel and stainless steel for your convenience. This knife is from the reputable brand of Yoshihiro which guarantees top notch quality that will last forever so no need to worry about replacing soon! The wooden handle offers optimal grip with its sleek design and mahogany wood color which looks as great as it feels in hand!
The dimensions are 11 x 0.06 x 1.75 inches, giving this nakiri knife all the dashing features you’re ever looking for in a cooking companion.
The VG-10 16 Damascus Series by Yoshihiro Cutlery is a gorgeous forged and hammered knife with layers of steel, designed for maximum performance as well as aesthetic beauty. These highquality knives are forged in the tradition of the finest craftsmen’s hammers, using over 16 layers of stainless steel to create beautiful patterns on both sides.
For the professional chef or home cook looking for a high end, beautifully crafted knife, Yoshihiro knives are perfect. With their 100% handcrafted design and attention to detail (a must for any self respecting chef) this knife will be an important tool in your kitchen repertoire. Do extras such as free sharpening and registration into their Knife Club offer even more value to potential customers who know how good you’ll look with a nice new set of knives mounted on your wall.
– The blade is made from high quality steel.
– The handle has a beautiful design and is comfortable to hold.
– The VG-10 Hammered Damascus Series has been a perennial best seller, combining performance, beauty, and extraordinary value.
– You’ll feel like you’re cutting through butter with these knives.
– You’ll be able to create exquisite dishes with this knife.
– You’ll feel like you’re an expert chef when using this knife.
- This knife is the first I pull out of my bag every morning and it’s perfect for rock chop, mincing, shallots and any other task
- This knife is great for cutting.
- The knife is very beautiful and well made, the blade still stays sharp after 8 months of use.
- This blade is high quality and sharp, but it can easily be damaged.
- The blade is lying flat on the cutting surface, which makes for an inefficient rocking motion.
Top 2: Shun Cutlery Classic 6.5″ Nakiri Knife
The Shun Classic 6.5″ Nakiri Knife is a high-quality, A Shun Essential. The Shun Classic 6.5″ Nakiri Knife is a versatile multipurpose kitchen knife used for fruits and vegetables or as a sushi knife.
It is balanced to cut with precision using its Rockwell hardness of 62 degrees. This VG-MAX steel blade has curved edges that are thinner than standard blades, making it ideal for chopping delicate items like garlic cloves too small to fit in most wells. In addition, the ebony PakkaWood handle has just enough space in the middle to ensure longevity even when holding wet hands.
It also features a long edge that can be used to chop through tough produce like butternut squash or hard root vegetables like turnips and softer items such as cabbage and lettuce leaves. It also features a traditional D-shaped handle so you can grip the knife securely while cooking without having to worry about slipping or cutting yourself accidentally.
The Shun Classic 6.5″ Nakiri Knife is versatile enough to do most kitchen prep tasks easily, making it the perfect addition to any culinary enthusiast’s arsenal of knives!
– Durable and robust blade, perfect for cutting vegetables.
– Blade is razor-sharp with long edge retention.
– Sleek design that is beautiful to look at.
– Ergonomic grip for comfortable handling
– PakkaWood handle and anti-corrosion steel blade.
- Provide precise and accurate cuts
- Sharp blade and feel comfortable in hands
- Exceptional looks and quality at an affordable price
- Perfect for slicing vegetable
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Not strong enough for cutting the hard vegetable such as bell pepper
- Need to sharpen frequently
Top 3. Wusthof 4193-7-13, 5″ Hollow Edge Nakiri Knife
The Wusthof Classic 5″ Hollow Edge Nakiri Knife/Vegetable Cleaver has a sharp, wedge-shaped blade used to slice and chop vegetables. This knife is also known as a vegetable cleaver and can be wielded like a club. Wüsthof Classic 5″ Hollow Edge Nakiri Knife/Vegetable Cleaver is the perfect size for more miniature vegetables, herbs, and fruit.
It features an asymmetrical edge that makes cutting on the left or right of the blade easy, and its wide shape helps keep flavors in during slicing. The Polypropylene handle provides excellent balance and control while cutting with this knife so stick around for your next cooking adventure! It’s even dishwasher safe so that you can wash up in style!
– High carbon stainless steel blade
– Precision Edge technology
– Solid handles for comfortable handling
– Durable and sharp knife
– Full bolster and finger guard
- Sturdy and nice handles
- Perfect knives for breaking down the vegetables
- Well made and razor-sharp
- Hight quality knife at the excellent price range
- Balanced weight and size
- Not recommended for those who prefer a little heavier knife
Top 4. TUO Nakiri Knife 6.5 inch -Kitchen Usuba Knife
With its lightweight, ergonomic design and popular blade material, the TUO Nakiri Knife promises effortless cutting. Its Pakkawood handle offers a secure grip even with wet hands or humid conditions, making it the perfect knife for indoor kitchens without ventilation systems.
The folding type metal cleaver is ideal for chopping up vegetables, including professional chefs looking for an Asian Cleaver that makes fast work of Asian cuisine without compromising on performance or appearing too Westernized. The Ring Lit finish of the blade ensures precision cutting wrapped in elegance.
Feeling intimidated about making sushi at home? Fear not. This one does double duty well by getting even the tightest rolls done right every single time so you can serve them up fresh and looking great.
– The blade is made of Japanese AUS-8 stainless steel with a hardness of HRC 60+
– It’s hand-polished by craftsmen with decades of experience to ensure the knife has long-lasting sharpness
– Nitrogen cooled for more hardness, flexibility, and anti-corrosion
– Ergonomic design and Pakkawood handles
– 100% satisfaction and lifetime warranty
- You can use it for various tasks in the kitchen, such as chopping, slicing, and dicing vegetables and fruits.
- Easier to use for a longer time.
- No more fatigue, finger numbness, or aches after holding it continuously for an extended time.
- Sharp blade for accurate cuts.
- Need sharpening carefully and regularly
- It good quality blade, but the handle is not solid
Top 5. Shun Premier Nakiri Knife
The Shun Premier Nakiri Knife is the all-time customer favorite for slicing, dicing, and chopping veggies. You can cut through firm fruits & vegetables or soft foods with ease. Instead of having to battle with your knife, stick through meat without harming any of the food! It’s also great for fish filleting because it has a long blade that cuts quickly.
All Shun Knives are sharpened by hand for blade quality and razor-sharpness right out of the box. The incredible edge retention is thanks in part to the special high-performance steel that has been manufactured using a secret process created back in medieval Japan. This modern method ensures an incredible balance of keen cutting ability with exceptional strength, struggle resistance.
This knife features walnut-colored PakkaWood handles that are designed for comfort while using these premium knives. It also has a laminar pakkawood walnut finish which looks beautiful on this Japanese utility knife where sustainability is never lost sight of.
– The blade is made of layered Damascus steel, which reduces the drag when cutting vegetables.
– It features a thin blade perfect for cutting vegetables.
– Hand-hammered finish
– High-quality pakkawood handles
– Secure and comfortable grips
- Shun sharp knives work well and look good.
- This knife is excellent for vegetables and meat
- Well made and durable knives
- Provide the clean and straight cuts
- Superior in weight, balance, sharpness, and beauty
- Should use with care, it gets chip easily
- The handle is relatively tiny for significant hand users
Top 6. Wusthof Classic 7-Inch Nakiri Knife
Trim the produce down to size with this sharp and strategically shaped veggie knife. This Nakiri blade is made from stainless steel that won’t rust over time, and the polypropylene handle makes it easy for slicing work even when your hands are wet or oily.
There is a hollow edge on both sides of the blade for chopping herbs and other ingredients. Take care of this instrument by hand washing and carefully storing it in a dry area away from moisture or heat sources. It always uses a cutting board or surface with nonskid material under the product and synthetic cutting blades to minimize contact between food surfaces and metal edges.
The durability of German stainless steel means less maintenance over time. With a lifetime warranty, you can’t go wrong with this time-tested tool for all your cutting needs at home or in the restaurant!
– High carbon stainless steel and tempered 58 degrees HRC
– 20% sharper with the double edge retention
– Full tang polypropylene of the handles
– Having long straight edge and hollow edge
– Air pockets equipped
- Durable and sturdy knives that will last a lifetime.
- The best quality for the price.
- It will stay sharp for years to come with proper care.
- Be able to cut through anything with ease, even hard vegetables like carrots or celery.
- The blade might become less sharp with the rolled edges
Top 7. Chefs Knife 8 inch By Oxford Chef
Have you been looking for a durable and well-designed knife? This 8-inch chef’s knife offers the most cutting performance on any food.
Its blade will never let you down. With the best materials, this knife will cut through anything with ease. It has been forged from cherry wood and high-quality Damascus steel to ensure the blade stays sharp for extended periods without losing its edge. The 8-inch length allows cooks to be more creative in their work while still having an easy tool to use when preparing meals for family members or guests these holidays.
Each one is made from Damascus steel which has undergone an intricate forging process created by master blacksmiths to provide superior quality. What’s more, these knives are hand sharpened and hand-polished as well as sanitized to be sure that each product out there meets our rigorous specifications. Our knives will never let you down!
– High carbon stainless Damascus steel 66 layers blade
– Perfect for preparing vegetables
– Sharp enough to slice through meat with ease
– Rounded handles give you a comfortable grip when using this knife.
– Tapered grips on the bolster allow for easy handling with the perfect balance
- Customer service is excellent, and the knife is of good quality and sharp.
- Comfortable handles in hands
- Nice weight and balance blade
- Perfect for the amateur cook
- Durable and beautiful knives
- It gets chips in some places
Top 8. KYOKU Samurai Series – Nakiri Japanese Vegetable Knife 7.”
Perfect for preparing vegetables and fruits, the KYOKU Samurai Series Nakiri Japanese Vegetable Knife is made with one of Japan’s sharpest blades. So you can be sure to chop up all your ingredients in no time with clean, precise cuts every time. Crafted with high-quality Swedish steel combined with KYOKU quality craftsmanship, this knife combines precision edge stability, durability, and perfect weight distribution.
The famed ice-hardening process finishes the blade, which creates an incredibly durable cutting surface that will resist wear even after prolonged use. Finally, an elegant hilt is capped off by a well-balanced 4-inch long blade that’s housed within a comfortable Pakka wood handle for non-slip grip even when wet.
– The blade is made of steel that will stay sharp for years
– It’s well balanced and ergonomic so that it won’t hurt your fingers
– Sharp edge for clean cuts
– The handle is made of Pakkawood, which is impervious to heat, cold, and moisture.
– Accented with a mosaic pin.
- Multi purposes for pro chefs and cooks
- Well packaged and good for gift
- The blade is easy to sharpen and keep an edge on
- Perfect for cutting and chopping fruits and veggies
- Easy to handle and cut straight
- It is quite heavy
- Doe not keep the edge for a long time
Top 9. MOSFiATA 7″ Nakiri Chef’s Knife
The MOSFiATA 7″ Nakiri Chef’s Knife is high-carbon steel that provides optimal sharpness and durability because it retains its edge and has a long life. In addition, the stainless steel handle prevents corrosion and does not transmit heat like wooden handles might, even on the ones with plastic blades. This knife can be purchased in Stainless Steel or Black – all of which are dishwasher safe.
This MOSFiATA Chef’s knife will cut through anything with ease. Thoroughly designed for cutting vegetables, the thin blade can easily navigate between tight rows of products to consistently achieve the perfect try-sized pieces every time! In addition, the stainless steel material ensures that this product is dishwasher safe while providing elegance to your kitchen.
– Durable and high-quality German stainless steel.
– The knife is versatile and can be used for a variety of tasks.
– Safe grip for both short and long term use
– It’s lightweight and easy to handle for different tasks.
– Beautiful gift box and nice sheath
- Very sharp and durable knife at the excellent price
- Provide faster and easier chopping
- Being a lightweight and stylish knife
- Cutting both vegetables and meat
- Feel safe in hand
- It is not Damascus steel
- There might be some scratch on the knife
Top 10. PAUDIN Razor 7″ Nakiri Knife
The Nakiri knife (also spelled Naki) is a Japanese general-purpose kitchen knife. This all-purpose kitchen is perfect for chopping, slicing, and dicing with its razor-sharp blade that can withstand frequent use. PAUDIN offers this durable, stunningly beautiful Nakiri at an affordable price, so you don’t have to spoil your prize meats to save money on knives!
The Nakiri sharp meat cleaver is extremely easy to use. The blade is made of PAUDIN’s patented high carbon stainless steel, which renders flexibility and will stay sharp even after many uses.
It has a Pakkawood handle that can be used with just one hand for smaller areas or requires both hands in larger, more complex tasks, which helps its user not exert too much force on the arm when slicing through complex objects. This knife comes in silver with a sleek, contemporary design – perfect for your restaurant kitchen at home!
– A sharp knife that’s easy to use and maintain.
– Cleans simply with soap and water and safe dishwasher.
– Cut foods effortlessly with a razor-sharp edge.
– The soft pakkawood handle with a comfortable grip.
- The steel is high quality, and the blade is very hard.
- This knife is a high-quality blade that comes sharp and holds its edge.
- It is sharp and easy to use
- Cut through vegetables easily
- Comfortable for handling
- Not recommended for large hands users
- It is quite a heavy knife
Factors that You Should Consider When Choosing one of the Best Nakiri Knives
Choosing a nakiri knife is not too different from choosing a general-purpose chef’s knife. However, there are a few important things to consider when deciding on your purchase, especially, buying the best Nakiri knife. The blade(s) must have an edge that can remain sharp for long periods of time and the handle should be easy to grip. Finding the right balance point between the two is key in creating a comfortable and effective tool.
This article mentions some factors to keep in mind when you’re looking for this style of knife:
Blade materials play one of the most essential roles in determining how well a particular knife will perform its job, especially with regards to more delicate tasks like slicing vegetables or fruits. Most nakiri knives are created using steel that is steel grade for the cutting edge and stainless steel for the handle. The blade should be made from SK5 carbon or VG10 stainless steel, which have been used in creating Japanese kitchen knives because of their ability to keep an edge longer than most other types of blade materials.
Knife handles should feel comfortable in your hand and be easy to grip. Handles are usually made from a combination of hardwood for the core material with a plastic injection-molded component that provides extra protection against moisture. The best handle will also have finger grooves and contours that fit the shape of your palm for additional comfort during longer kitchen sessions.
Handles may come either uncoated or coated, depending on the manufacturer’s preference. Uncoated wood handles are more susceptible to absorbing water or getting damaged when exposed to high heat, while coated ones can withstand much higher temperatures than their un-coated counterparts without melting or warping.
The Blade Length
Most nakiri knives come with a blade length of between 150 mm and 180 mm. While an extremely long handle may feel more comfortable, it can also be unwieldy to use for some people. However, if you’re looking for a small knife to slice smaller fruits and vegetables that are many times shorter than the blade length, cutting off too much is still going to result in wasted food.
A high-quality nakiri knife will have a good finish on its blade even though this isn’t as important as features like the blade’s sharpness or strength since this particular style of knife is not used for chopping ingredients into pieces so the smoothness of the blade finish does not factor in.
The blade’s appearance is not as important, but it can be an indicator of how well the knife was constructed and should still look attractive to the eye. Nakiri knives that are forged by hand will usually have a rougher finish when compared to those made by machines – which means you’ll need to spend more time making sure they don’t rust or corrode prematurely. The hardness of the blade may also affect its finish since most people prefer softer blades with a matte-like surface while harder ones may feature a mirror-like polish.
Blade Steel Hardness
Most nakiri knives will use steels with a Rockwell rating somewhere between 55 and 60 on the “C” scale – although some blades with harder ratings may actually be a better fit for people who work in a very hot environment and have larger, heavier hands.
The handle of your nakiri knife is also extremely important for ensuring that it can serve your needs well. The best blade should be firm enough to prevent it from bending when being used to slice through tougher produce but should still feel comfortable against the hands without any sharp or uncomfortable edges. This style of knife can come with either one-handed or two-handed handles, so choose one that works best for you. Some models may even come with double bolsters behind the blade’s edge to help protect your fingers against accidents if they happen to slip while slicing although these may also make using the knife more difficult.
Other parts of the handle, like its hilt, may actually be thinner than what you are used to so if your hands feel too big for the nakiri’s handle it could result in a loss of grip or control when slicing expensive and delicate ingredients.
Nakiri Cutting Edge Angle
The cutting edge of your nakiri knife should be about 5 to 6 degrees higher than the flat side opposite it. It should also cut at roughly a 30 degree angle or less – although sharpening it at a lower angle will make it sharper and stronger, so if you want to accomplish this you’ll have to sharpen the blade every time you use it because most kitchen knives manufactured today are too brittle to withstand resharpening.
The Best Brands of Nakiri Knives
There are lots of brand names that produce nakiri knives and choosing the best quality is sometimes challenging. No wonder why you need to rely on reviews and ratings from past customers who have already tried some brands out there. Good news is not only can you choose whichever name appeals your taste because they are all good but also most affordable as well. Also take into consideration the price of course! The following is a list of some the best brands of nakiri knives available in markets today.
As Wusthof Classic. jA. Henckels International. Yoshihiro Aoko . DALSTRONG. Miyabi Birchwood . Calphalon Katana Cutlery. Yoshihiro.
Where You Can Buy Nakiri Knife
When you want to buy Nakiri knife, the first decision that you have to make is where you want to shop. If you prefer online shopping, then Amazon will be a good option for you. You can find so many brands of Nakiri knives on this site.
Not only that, but there are some other sites such as Ebay and Alibaba that also provide you with some options. In general, people said that it is very hard to find a good Nakiri knife in local stores, especially if the store does not specialize in kitchen cutlery.
Why should you buy a Nakiri Knife
- It is very thin so it can be used to cut hard vegetables like carrots or squash without breaking the skin.
- It has a flat blade that is easy to sharpen
- The blade shape makes it perfect for slicing, dicing, and chopping.
- The edge can be pushed into the board rather than pulled towards you like with a traditional chef’s knife making it safer for children in the kitchen. (I don’t recommend small children using sharp knives).
- They are not as expensive as their western counterparts and this model is extremely well priced – especially having seen what else was on offer in store at $300-$600 bucks before tax!
- They come razor sharp from the factory, far sharper than any high end western brand knife I own.
- You can keep it sharp on a whetstone for those of you who are into that sort of thing.
- The blade is quite thin and light so it will not crack under pressure making them the perfect choice if you have weak wrists or an injury to your hands (like me). It makes work in the kitchen much less tiring. The balance point is closer to the handle than with a traditional chef’s knife, helping to reduce fatigue.
- They are safe – they don’t have that pointed tip where you get stressed out about squashing fingers when trying to chop chives, or worry about cutting yourself by accident when whacking someone else over the head with it.
- No special skills required to use one of these knives
FAQs about Best Nakiri Knife
1. What is the best size Nakiri knife?
- – 5″ (perfect for slicing vegetables)
- – 7″ (great for chopping blocks of tofu)
- – 10″ (ideal for large roasts and whole fish)
2. What are the benefits of a Nakiri knife?
- – It’s versatile since it can be used to cut vegetables, fish and meat.
- – It’s perfect for cutting thinly sliced vegetables.
- – It is an easy
- way to slice cabbage or lettuce into thin shreds for coleslaw.
3. Is a nakiri a cleaver?
- In fact, nakiri is a small cleaver
- – A nakiri is an Asian knife used for vegetable chopping.
- – A cleaver is any type of kitchen knife with a broad blade that can be used for cutting through tough meats, bone, or hard vegetables.
4. Is a Nakiri knife worth it?
- – It’s versatile since it can be used to cut vegetables, fish and meat.
- – It’s perfect for cutting thinly sliced vegetables.
- – It is an easy way to slice cabbage or lettuce into thin shreds for coleslaw.
Before making your final decision at best Nakiri knife, you should read all necessary details. It is very important to help you with the right choice.
A nakiri knife is a must-have tool in any kitchen. It can be used to cut vegetables faster than using your standard chef’s knife, saving you time and money on prep work for meals later on. If you want professional quality vegetable slicing with less effort, this is the right utensil for you! Check out our post on how to choose the best nakiri – we break down all the important features that every chef should know before making their final decision.